So the first quarter finalists for the Writers of the Future contest were finally announced (finally!), and I wasn’t among them. Oh well. But the good news is that I can move ahead now to publish part 1 of Star Wanderers!
First, though, I need to work out a killer blurb. This is what I’ve got so far:
When Jeremiah arrived at Megiddo Station, all he wanted was to make some trades and resupply his starship. He never thought he’d come away from the frontier outpost with a wife.
Before he knows it, he’s back on his ship again, alone with his accidental bride. Since neither of them speak the same language, he has no way to tell her that there’s been a terrible mistake. And because of the deadly famine that has ravaged her home, there’s no going back either. The only way forward lies across a dozen parsecs of cold, empty space.
Jeremiah wasn’t looking for someone to keep him warm on the long voyages, and he certainly isn’t ready to settle down. He’s a star wanderer, roaming the Outworlds in search of his fortune. But there’s a dark side to his wandering–a loneliness that threatens to destroy him. His unexpected passenger may be willing to end that, but how can she when they barely understand each other?
So what do you think? Does it tickle your fancy? Are you intrigued to read more? Or are you thinking it’s kind of “meh”? Any feedback would be much appreciated, even if it’s just “this reminds me of _____.”
By the way, here’s the cover:
I’m experimenting a lot with this next novel. The plan is to release it in a serial format first, then publish the full-length novel once I’ve serialized the sequel (more of a parallax actually. The tentative title for that one is Star Home, and it’s the story from the girl’s perspective).
Here’s how I plan to publish it:
- Release Part I for $2.99.
- Give newsletter subscribers a two week coupon code on Smashwords to download Part I for free.
- Release Part II for $2.99 and drop Part I to free.
- Give newsletter subscribers a two week coupon code on Smashwords to download Part II for free.
- Release Part III for $2.99 and drop Part II to $.99. Keep Part I at free.
- Give newsletter subscribers a two week coupon code on Smashwords to download Part III for free.
- Release Part IV for $2.99 and drop Part III to $.99. Keep Part II at $.99 and Part I at free.
- Give newsletter subscribers a two week coupon code on Smashwords to download Part IV for free.
- Publish the full-length novel at $4.95.
This way, no one has to pay more than five bucks for the whole thing, and people who subscribe to the newsletter get a really sweet deal. There shouldn’t be more than a month or two between release dates–Part II is almost ready to go, and I plan on finishing the complete first draft in the next couple of days.
So yeah, that’s the plan. I’m excited to finally get this story out to you! I really had a blast writing it, and I think you’ll enjoy reading it, especially if (like me!) you’re a fan of science fiction romance.
More to come!